The History of Cold Aston C of E Primary School
(for more information about the school, please go to the school's own website)
In the early eighteenth century, Goddard Carter, Lord of the Manor, established a school for "ten poor children of this parish." William Whittington later endowed this with £5 per annum. A parochial return for 1846-1847 shows that Aston Blank had a Sunday school for twenty children, with one master, whose expenses were met by subscription. It stated that a day school was needed and Henry Thomas Hope built an elementary school in 1860. In 1879, the school was taken over by the church and official records began. At the time, the building consisted of one schoolroom and the house and qualified for an annual grant of £25. Children were also expected to pay 1 penny per week. By 1913 there were 64 pupils at school aged between 4 and 14 years. Numbers have fluctuated over the years since then and currently there are about 70 pupils aged between 4 and 11. The school has undergone extensive building works over the last few years which have provided modern teaching rooms, a library and a kitchen. To find out additional information about Cold Aston School, please visit the School's official website.