Cold Aston Village School

In the early eighteenth century, Goddard Carter, Lord of the Manor, had established a school for "ten poor children of this parish"; William Whittington later endowed this with 5 pounds per annum. A parochial return for 1846-1847 shows that Aston Blank had a Sunday school for twenty children, with one master, whose expenses were met by subscription. It stated that a day school was needed and Henry Thomas Hope built an elementary school in 1860.

In 1879, the school was taken over as a church school and official records began. It consisted at the time of one schoolroom and the house and qualified for an annual grant of 25 pounds. Children were also expected to pay 1 penny per week. By 1913 there were 64 pupils at school aged between 4 and 14 years. Numbers fluctuated over the years since then and currently stand at 70 pupils aged between 4 and 11. The school has undergone extensive building works over the last few years providing modern teaching rooms, a library and a kitchen.

To find out additional information about Cold Aston School, please visit the Schools Official Website.

Cold Aston Village School